What Is A Party Wall Award?
A Party Wall Award, also known as a Party Wall Agreement or a Party Wall Award Notice, is a legally binding document that is created and issued by party wall surveyors to resolve disputes under the Party Wall Act. It serves as a formal agreement between the property owners (or “adjoining owners”) who share a common boundary, typically when one owner intends to carry out construction work that may affect the party wall, boundary, or adjoining property of the other owner.
The Party Wall Award outlines the rights, obligations, and responsibilities of all parties involved in the construction project, including the building owner(s) and the adjoining owner(s). It typically includes the following key elements:
1. Scope of work: It specifies the nature and extent of the proposed construction work that falls within the scope of the Party Wall Act, such as building a new wall, cutting into an existing wall, or excavating near the party wall.
2. Party Wall Surveyors: It appoints the party wall surveyors who will act on behalf of the respective parties to ensure compliance with the Party Wall Act and to resolve any disputes that may arise during or after the construction process.
3. Access and working hours: It outlines the provisions for access to the adjoining owner’s property for carrying out the necessary construction work and specifies any limitations or restrictions on working hours to minimize disruption.
4. Condition surveys: It may require the surveyors to conduct condition surveys of the adjoining owner’s property before the construction work commences. This helps record the existing condition of the property and assists in assessing any potential damage caused by the construction work.
5. Schedule of condition: It may include a detailed schedule of condition, which documents the condition of the party wall and the adjoining owner’s property before the construction work begins. This serves as a reference point for assessing any damage or disputes that may arise later.
6. Dispute resolution: It provides a mechanism for resolving any disputes that may arise during or after the construction work, such as disagreements over the extent of damage, repairs, or additional expenses.
Once the Party Wall Award is agreed upon and issued, all parties are legally bound by its terms and conditions. It ensures that the rights and interests of both the building owner(s) and the adjoining owner(s) are protected, promoting a fair and cooperative approach to party wall matters and minimizing potential conflicts.